The world, how it works, surroundings, myself, etc.

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Shop Review: Shapes Opticals

Shapes Opticals is located in the heart of the nearest market from Hitech City, near Pizza Hut in Madhapur. I went to Shapes Opticals to get my specs' frame mended after I managed to break it on my flight back to Hyderabad from Singapore. What happened thereafter is an exclamation.

The guy refused to mend it; he suggested buying a new frame instead. I wanted my specs fixed as soon as possible, so I gave in and signed up for a new specs. I was promised that it would be done in a day. Now, I wasn't truly confident, as it has happened on a previous occasion that the shop had defaulted on the promised time, so I insisted that he better make sure that it's ready by time. He said that it would be.

When I went to the shop the next day, I was surprised to see that it was actually ready. Just that it wasn't the frame I wanted. The frame I wanted was black. This was red. When I complained, the guy in the counter (the same one who took the order) started tweaking it -- he started pulling out things from another black frame and plugging into mine. I didn't object. And there in front of my eyes, he broke the frame. He asked me to come back later. And he wasn't even ashamed. To make it worse, when I got angry, the other guy across the counter asked me to take cancel the order.

I returned back after a day and this time my frame was brown. And it didn't even rest well on my nose. I had given up hope to get my point across. Brown wasn't unbearable, and I could do some adjusting myself, so I just took it. After all, it was my fault to choose Shapes Opticals despite apriori bad experience.

Points to note: Shapes Opticals has exorbitantly high prices -- frames and glasses alike. The guys across the counter are dumb to say the least. They don't have any kind of expert knowledge about specs. They are rude. They'll almost certainly default on the order.

All things said and done, I understand that he has the right to sell crap if people are ready to buy, and I have the right to refuse to buy from him if I don't like it. So, here I am, exercising my freedom to make others aware that if you want reliable service on your specs, do not choose Shapes Opticals. You'll almost certainly be dissatisfied.

6 comments:

kulbirsaini said...

thanks a lot for the information ... actually i was looking for new glasses but i m lazy enough to go out of IIIT.

The many faces of stupidity said...

at the risk of doing some publicity, I must say that you should go to KSR Opticians in Banjara Hills. We even had their gift coupons in Felicity! :P

Unknown said...

FYI,
Titan eye+ or lawernace and mayo or good and also gkb opticals currently having discount also.

BullzY said...

amen to lawrence and mayo, faithful customer since '99 :P

Smeeta said...

I know gkb(in Banjara Hills) is a good brand but I am quite dissatisfied with them. They forced me to buy glasses with higher power than what I required just because they were 1.5k costlier.
Their prices are high enough for everyone to afford but I had to pay the price of being new to the city. I have not worn them even once ever since I bought them because the power doesn't suit my eyes.

Ash said...

Hey Nirni,
u were wearing brown frames today? it looked okay.. infact i did not notice anything different...

Do u have spare glasses.. he he he... i can imagine wat can go wrong without glasses (exp with KK):)