The world, how it works, surroundings, myself, etc.

Friday, August 06, 2004

My hostel mess.


Whoever named it, it for sure suits to a T. I was so so angry at my
hostel mess one day that I could not help writing a firing mail to the
administration. Well, things did happen after this. Situation didn't
remain that bad at least.


Here's what I wrote.

Dear Sir/Ma'm,

This is with regard to the newly installed OBH mess and related
state
of affairs. And please please don't regard it as just another
resentment.

This is not the first day for such thoughts but it's sure the last straw
for me. I try to summarize why:

- Some days ago, it was promptly declared (without prior notice)
that
the OBH mess would remain non-functional for 2 complete days. Hours
before the lunch time, we received notification saying that arrangements
had been made for all (around 800 of us!!) to have food in NBH, and most
would have to stand while they eat.
- I didn't have money, nor the inclination to go upto Indira Nagar
in
the outpouring rains at food time, on the 2 days.
- The caterer and mess had been changed and after paying well in
advance
our Rs 5000/- for the mess charges, we expected the mess to be a delight
(the music system, flower pots, and the curtains in the mess pointed to
it). However, what we instead got is a blow in the face.
- Mess has inadequate (rather, hardly sufficient) food. This was
at just
around 9:00 when I went to the mess. The queue elongates from the mess
counter to the mess-entrance. Needless to say, it typically takes around
20-35 minutes before one touches the plate.
- Though the OBH mess was functional from 1st Aug, I've not had
proper
food in the compulsory mess since yesterday.
- The Sunday biryani was without any curry (vegetable).
- Tonight, used/dirty plates lay stray right near the entrance
with no
one to carry them away (an open invitation to files?)
- Far insufficient number of tables/chairs in the mess. I've seen
some
of us actually standing and eating (plate in hands!!)
- Whatever few number of tables were arranged, they remained
uncleaned.
- Unending fight for roti(s).
- Hardly anyone to get us water. (okay, an old story)

Some of us tried to talk to the caterer, and we got the answer that the
management/administration has _NOT_ provided them enough number of
utensils and enough number of tables/chairs!!

I understand that the new mess takes time to settle, but I'm sure you
won't take it as an excuse for utter non-performance. We do expect the
administration to plan out things for us, don't we?
I'm sure if our parents come to know of this state of affairs regarding
the mess (including no food), they'd take strict exception to it. I know
I might have sounded a bit sour but dear Sir/Ma'm I couldn't help it --
I'm hungry.

Please try to work out something.


Dear Director Sir,
We didn't ask for any soothing music in the mess. All we plead
is
clean,timely,edible food. We, as humans, require food. Is that really
too much to ask for?


Please, please help.

A student.
On behalf of a large number of us.

No comments: