The world, how it works, surroundings, myself, etc.

Monday, June 13, 2005

Installing FC3 on Athlon x86_64, SATA hard disks


We wanted to install Fedora Core 3 (actually even FC2 would do) for the
ACCV server. The system was a 64bit Athlon on a K8S MX ASUS motherboard.
Now here starts the trouble. I knew it wasn't overly trivial to get the
SATA hard disks working on the 64bit systems with FC3, and this
motherboard was all the more too new (and sophisticated) to have working
drivers in the FC3.

Meticulous fooling around with my head inside the open cabinet showed me
that it had a SiS 965L onboard SATA controllers. Luckily, I was able to
find the driver at http://download.sis.com, but that needed me to compile
the module, and that required a working FC3. With the promise RAID card, I
knew, the drivers would be found and the hard disks would be detected, but
the PCI bus would force sluggishness to the server which, of course, is
undesirable. Just to be able to compile the sata_sis.ko kernel module, I
installed FC3 with the Promise RAID card on. I needed RAID, but not with
the PCI RAID card. Having compiled the hard disk's kernel module
(sata_sis.ko), now I was to carry out the actual install. I got this
driver on a floppy (somehow found a floppy!).

I started the installtion with:

linux expert text askmethod noselinux selinux=0

I disabled selinux coz it's more of a painful paranoia than anything else.
When I was warned that the drives hadn't been detected (as expected) and I
had the option of choosing the drivers, I loaded ata_piix coz this would
load libata. sata_sis was mentioned as one of the options but it didn't
work for my Seagate 80GB SATA disk(s). With the libata loaded (with
ata_piix), on tty2, I had to mount the floppy and insmod sata_sis.ko.
dmesg just confirmed that the module was loaded properly and showed the
disks. Now the installation would proceed as usual.

However, the first boot was another problem. Surely enough, since I had
chosen ata_piix, this was used for installation, and not sata_sis. The
/etc/modprobe.conf had an alias entry for ata_piix as scsi_hostadapter. I
had to rescue the system (again the HD driver disk was required) and
change this alias to use sata_sis instead. This done, I copied my
sata_sis.ko to /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/scsi/ and the system
was ready for a normal boot now.

All this messing around, finding the drivers, forgetting something or the
other, trying to figure out things, etc took me a day and a half. RAID too
was to be configured. Hardware RAID would have been great but I settled
down to software RAID with the handy mdadm tool. I still don't know if the
Hardware RAID is supported on this motherboard or not. Even though I had
enabled RAID 1 in the BIOS and had mirrored the disks, I could still see
two disks in my linux. Even the software RAID for the whole disks
(/dev/sda & /dev/sdb) wouldn't be done coz the disks were in use and busy
when booted. Finally, I was happy with raid on two unused partitions
/dev/sda5 & /dev/sdb5.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can u please step wise explain as to what we should do to install fc3
.. I have the same conf as yours...
So help me out ,, ur description is too fundo to understand..
And onething mine is a PC not any sever, but i am sure u will do it..

Unknown said...

Perhaps, It'd help if you tell me where exactly you are stuck.

Anonymous said...

Hello nirnimesh

i execute your instructions about to setup fedora core 3 in a motherboard k8s-mx i modify the modprob.conf but when i initialized the fedora occour a error kernel -panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init

you need to modify other config files than modprobe.conf?

Anonymous said...

Hello nirnimesh

i execute your instructions about to setup fedora core 3 in a motherboard k8s-mx i modify the modprob.conf but when i initialized the fedora occour a error kernel -panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init

you need to modify other config files than modprobe.conf?

my name is mauricio

Unknown said...

Perhaps you need to put root=/dev/hdaX instead of root=LABEL=/ in ur grub.conf.
Replace X with the correct partition number.

Anonymous said...

Hello nirnimesh

i change this parameter but the same error occour ,

i see that the module sata_sis don't appear in the boot but i copy de sata_sis.ko to the directory lib/modules... and change the modprobe.conf with bellow:


modprobe.conf
alias scsi_hostadapter sata_sis
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 ohci-hcd


i execute df -h list partitions below

/dev/sda2 --- /
/dev/sda1 --- /boot
/dev/sda6 --- /home
/dev/sda3 --- /var


a little peace of my fstab

/dev/sda2 / .......
/dev/sda1 /boot .....
/dev/sda6 /home ....
/dev/sda3 /var .....
/dev/sda5 swap

my grub.conf

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/sda2

i see in the boot that dont apear the module sata_sis

bellow the init of my fedora instalation

Loading sd_mod.ko
Loading libata.ko module
Loading ata_piix.ko module
Loading jbd.ko module
Loading ext3.ko module
Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
mount error 6 mounting ext3
mount error 2 mounting none
Switching to new root
switchroot mount failed 22
umount /initrd/dev failed 2
kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init

thank you for your help

Mauricio

Unknown said...

Yeah, yeah,.. I recall.
Actually the thing with modprobe.conf won't work. You actually need to remake the initrd image for your kernel. So once the installation is done, copy sata_sis to the /lib/... and mkinitrd to make the initrd image and boot using this.

Chandan V said...

Interesting article. I'm planning to purchase Asus K8S MX mother board. I tried to google reviews for this M/B but it is unavailable.Any advise regarding this M/B is most welcome. My queries are as follows

1. Do u suggest any mother board equivalent to this mother board with similar feature and an equivalent price tag, Plus or minus Rs 250/- This M/b is priced Rs 3200/- in Bangalore

2. Earlier K8s MX M/B did'nt have pci express slot. Does your board has it? If yes is it compatible with currently available graphic cards.

3. Hows the performance of on board graphics and are you facing any other problem.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Chandan V

Chandan V said...

you can mail me at chandanv12 at hotmail dot com

Unknown said...

Frankly speaking, I'd _not_ recommend buying this motherboard (Asus K8sMX) if you want to run Linux comfortably. For one, even if you are able to install Fedora on the SATA disks, the display resolutions don't get any better than 800x600. Now 800x600 is way too bad. This SiS chipset is pathetic. It doesn't give the display drivers for Linux (Fedora and later). At least it could have given the code, so people could adapt it.

If you want to get equivalent features, I'd recommend the Asus Nvidia chipset m/b that I'm using: K8N-E deluxe. It has Nvidia 250Gb chipset and the Nvidia drivers work like a charm.