The world, how it works, surroundings, myself, etc.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

BSNL Broadband

I recently got a brand new BSNL broadband connection. And it's amazing.

After the initial hiccups of waiting for a about a month to get the phone setup and the router/modem delivered to me, everything else was a charm. I was given a type IV wifi modem. It's a UTStarcom WA3002G4 modem with 4 ethernet ports.

Now, I was terribly pissed off with my previous connection - one from Sify. First, it wouldn't work on my Mac without having to login from a windows machine (Sify has a mac login client but it doesn't work). I had to wait for hours for my windows-loaded roommate to return home so before I could get online. Second, one would need to login using the login client at least once every day, which means that you couldn't leave the internet unattended hoping it to keep downloading stuff. Third, the speed was awful. Fourth, I was charged Rs 1222 per month for the unlimited connection. Fifth, the Sify guys have blocked icmp, so I couldn't ping the outside world.

With my BSNL Dataone connection, I have all the above problems solved, and everything comes for a chick Rs 750 only. It has been only 2 days and so a little premature to comment on reliability and speed, but I have been able to view youtube videos with minimal buffering wait.

Now coming to the modem. The UTStarcom WA3002G4 modem is a beauty. I had a DLink wifi modem earlier, which amongst other problems, didn't allow connection to my company's VPN and had a crappy web interface which was dumb as a door knob. The BSNL modem provides a tidy http interface & slick telnet interface as well. My account information is entered into the modem itself so I need not have a login client on the end system, and so it works on all OS-es all the time. The modem allows me to backup configurations to my machine, and it saved my day a few minutes ago. I love it.

Every thing's worked like a charm so far. Touch wood!

13 comments:

Black said...

I had applied for a BSNL Connection in may--2007 yes, 05/2007 and got it november 11/2007.. i know, a lot of time.. but i havent had a single problem from then once it was setup,
consistent speed, reliable and etc..

btw .. even i am using the same router too. theres a plan for 512 kbps unlimited for 1350...
u used to pay 1200 to sify anyway so why not get a faster one?

kulbirsaini said...

you never mentioned the bandwidth you are getting for 750 bucks. Anyway I hope soon you'll be writing a review about it.

Unknown said...

@Kulbir

256 kbps unlimited

smr said...

when it comes to bandwidth.. I am fan of Airtel. Currently using 1Mbps unlimited :) for 2222. I had applied for BSNL but they never came back.

kulbirsaini said...

256kbps is decent if reliable ...
god!! when i'll get out of this insti :(

Unknown said...

I am using Shit@crapBps X-(

Got to get out of this place !!!

The fucking lab switch goes down everyday ... AS I SPEAK it might go down in another 2 mins. ... c ya .... bhaagooooooooo ( Om Shanti Om Ishtyle ) NIR watch it I know u haven't ...

ShArK said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ShArK said...

My dad applied for a bsnl connection at home. 3 months and waiting no reply from BSNL. Apparently it depends on the exchange you are connected to :(

s said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
s said...

Good, Sify and Beam cable cannot be considered a broadband connection. They suck.

BSNL connection takes time for a reason. All their boxes are full coz of the demand.

I got a 2mbps connection at home and its a charm, been 2 yrs and no complaints till date.

Although, Airtel & Reliance WiMax also provide everything you need at similar rates. Tata Indicom's billing sucks.

KannanRaja said...

Guys,
I am writing this after frustrated two days (and nights) of struggle with my great nation's BSNL BB connection... My dad got BB connection for me to have access while I visit them; unfortunately when I connect to my VPN the link goes down; after making 5/6 calls (STD mind you), the response is GOK (God Only Knows)!!! this is crap man... we are centuries away to 'develop this part of the jungle'... people are interested in crores that determine the fate of a lot of things... no interest in systematic development of the nation...

sa said...

Hello Nirnimesh,
I have an iMac and am trying to connect it through Ethernet. The computer says 'internet connected', but wen i try to open a browser and surf, it says server not found.
Could you please help me on how were u able to connect?
Thanks.

Beam Broadband Connection said...

nice Blog......We are providing Beam Broadband Internet Connection