The world, how it works, surroundings, myself, etc.

Friday, February 27, 2009

Number of States in India

How many states are there in India?

I was watching this episode in Friends where Ross could not name all the 50 states in the US. And that's when I thought, wait a minute! I don't even know how many states are there in India. The last time I read a number in the text books it was 25, and I was twelve years old. Maybe they stopped putting that in text books for fear of getting outdated. I mean creating new states is in a way the piece de resistance of several budding Indian political leaders. There's a saddist who wants Telangana, a few more who want a piece out of Jammu & Kashmir, and I'm pretty sure several leaders are toying with repeating the tactics with other states like Maharashtra, Karnataka.

I think I lost interest in the count when they stopped calling Delhi a state. And whenever you raise the issue half of the people would say that Delhi is still a Union Territory while the other half would think it's a bonafide state. I wonder if I can name all the states. I know I can name the 25 that I learnt when I was twelve.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

28 and the youngest one is Jharkhand :D .. The irony is that still a lot of people don't know about Jharkhand...

The usual conversation goes like this..
Me: I am from Jharkhand..
other guys: Hmmm !!
Me: You know the state, to which Dhoni belongs
OG: Hmmmmmmm !! Where is it precisely...
Me: Remember Bihar, it got devided in two parts..
OG: Oh, I See !!

It was far better being a Bihari, Badnaam hi sahi par nam to tha .

Unknown said...

hey frnds dont tell like this...koi jagah buri ni hoti..log bure hote h..n can u tell me ek v jagah ka nam jaha bure log ni..bhale hi wo apne ap ko tis markha samjhte ho..
we all bihari r intelligent..jahan v gai hu i hv seen i am far better dan dem..bas bura lagta h ki mai apne state keliy kuch na karke tamil nadu karnatka ke progress keli din rat mar rai hu..mai kya sab yahi kar rahe h..:(