The world, how it works, surroundings, myself, etc.

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Making firefox real fast

Not for nothing is Firefox the coolest browser. A simple tweak and now all the sites open almost instantaneously. I don't have to see the status bar loading the page. Here's what I followed:

Open Firefox 1.0 and in the address bar type: about:config

1. Find browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs and double click on it so it = true
2. Find network.http.pipelining and double click on it so it = true
3. Find network.http.pipelining.maxrequests double click on it and change it from 4 to 100
4. Find network.http.proxy.pipelining double click on it and change it = true

That's it.

What do these changes do?
1. Then enables advanced tab options in your Tools/Options page
2. This enables option #3.
3. This makes FF use 8 threads to each page.. Bascially, if you thought FF was fast before, try it after this.
4. Use this if you are behind a proxy.
I'm sure tonnes of such tweaks can be done, especially with the myriad number of extensions available.
---
Courtesy: http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/59/42/

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

absolutely fundu dude ...

i have a query for you ... point me to links which can debug my JScripts and make them run perfectly on firefox .. does it blocks some kind of scripts or actions ...

Unknown said...

If I understand you correctly, try:

Tools->JavaScript Console

Yes, Firefox does allow you to limit the type of actions JavaScript has access to:
Edit->Preferences->Web Features->Enable JavaScript->Advanced

You can get some extensions which allow you better features.

Unknown said...

There's a subtle problem with the above speed hack, however.

My institute has online subscriptions to several journals and publications (IEEE, ACM, Springer, etc). These allow restricted number of accesses at a time. Hence, if I use firefox with the pipelined fetch threads, this limit is exceeded and I cannot access.

That apart, I've noticed that the speed increment has shot up not only for the browser, but also for the downloader. So, kind of threaded downloads in FireFox.

dragon ballz said...

sorry to disappoint you!!the speed is still the same..for some unknown reasons my firefox is performing at its worst.So I had to switch to opera.any suggestions..I tried uninstalling and installing too..

dragon ballz said...

sorry to disappoint you!!the speed is still the same..for some unknown reasons my firefox is performing at its worst.So I had to switch to opera.any suggestions..I tried uninstalling and installing too..

dragon ballz said...

sorry to disappoint you!!the speed is still the same..for some unknown reasons my firefox is performing at its worst.So I had to switch to opera.any suggestions..I tried uninstalling and installing too..

dragon ballz said...

sorry to disappoint you!!the speed is still the same..for some unknown reasons my firefox is performing at its worst.So I had to switch to opera.any suggestions..I tried uninstalling and installing too..

dragon ballz said...

please delete those extra posts..

Unknown said...

Sorry to disappoint you prasanna, but even though I cannot figure out a solution for you, I do experience a shoot in my browsing speed. Heavy sites like orkut and indiatimes which used to slog are appreciably faster.