Every citizen should have the right to disown the govt of that state. This frees him of any taxes, and also liberates the govt of any responsibility/obligation towards the individual. This balances the equation between the govt's performance and citizens' obligations.
- The govt be like any corporate entity -- merit-based. You perform, I subscribe to you. You don't perform, I disown you.
- I won't pay VAT, and the govt won't be obliged to resolve consumer-products related litigations for me.
- I won't pay road-tax, and the govt won't be obliged to make roads for me. I agree to pay a tax every time I use a maintained road.
- I won't pay the education cess, and the govt shouldn't feel obliged to provide education at the primary and other levels for me. The govt shouldn't bother to create reservations, etc for me. I would be more than happy.
- I won't pay the income tax, and I won't expect the govt to interfere with the finance of the country. Everyone would be content.