The world, how it works, surroundings, myself, etc.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Right to Disownment

Ever since birth, we have been carrying the load of the constitution of India. Heavy words like democracy, liberty, freedom, equality(??) are no more than crap-on-the-head. Just because I was born in part of the globe called India, it was assumed that I would be happy to comply with any and every law the founding fathers of the constitution chose to pen down. But this assumption is flawed. I don't want any of these heavy-weight words. Why should I pay taxes when I know that it will go to satiate the govt's whims and fancies. There should, therefore, be a way by which I can disown the govt, the constitution, and everything related. I propose the Right to Disownment.

Every citizen should have the right to disown the govt of that state. This frees him of any taxes, and also liberates the govt of any responsibility/obligation towards the individual. This balances the equation between the govt's performance and citizens' obligations.
  • The govt be like any corporate entity -- merit-based. You perform, I subscribe to you. You don't perform, I disown you.
  • I won't pay VAT, and the govt won't be obliged to resolve consumer-products related litigations for me.
  • I won't pay road-tax, and the govt won't be obliged to make roads for me. I agree to pay a tax every time I use a maintained road.
  • I won't pay the education cess, and the govt shouldn't feel obliged to provide education at the primary and other levels for me. The govt shouldn't bother to create reservations, etc for me. I would be more than happy.
  • I won't pay the income tax, and I won't expect the govt to interfere with the finance of the country. Everyone would be content.

1 comment:

ShArK said...

Very interesting line of thought. Even I feel the same way about taxes as u do. I see my parents paying huge portions of their income fully knowing that it will be wasted by the government. pretty dishartening