The world, how it works, surroundings, myself, etc.

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Happy Republic Day

Not that the Republic Day bears a great significance to India as it exists today, this day has been celebrated for 58 years now. Called as the red letter day, this was the day 58 years ago when the Constitution of India came into effect and India was declared a Republic (that's straight from my 7th grade history text book).

As a child, I actually used to enjoy this day primarily because it was a holiday but also because of the colorful jhanki (processions) that different stats would march near the Red Fort, and the President onlooked them. It was fun to watch all that on TV. Then the president would give away awards to the highest achievers in the country.

Alas, the grandeur is lost. It's just another day for me now. Even though a president doesn't really "command" anything, his personality and achievements in the past used to at least make it look honorable. But with the current president, Pratibha ...something.. , I hardly see the point. Failure magnified and under-achievement celebrated. Imagine a Bharat Ratna given off from her hands!

It's time we stop doing things to carry on a tradition. Just because it has been done that way for years does not mean it's not outrageously stupid!

2 comments:

Ash said...

The last line is ur fave.... I have heard it many times from u.
PS: I don't want to loose the bet with kunal( u know wat I mean)

mythalez said...

I used to like republic day for exactly the reasons u listed ...
however ... I dont see how just having a very unsuitable president diminishes the day very much :)
(yah i do get the point that the day is afterall celebration of having a president :D)