The world, how it works, surroundings, myself, etc.

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Without Engineers All Around

Disturbed with the sad realization of spending most of my time with engineers, this weekend I decided to try something else. So, on Saturday evening, I went to a gathering of people where I'd ordinarily not. It was a group related to private franchisees -- Quickstar and Amway. There I was sitting with a lot of people from different walks of life -- there were doctors, lawyers, businessmen, teachers/professors, students, and of course engineers. There was a speaker who was supposed to give a presentation on "something which would change your life". A good deal of people jumped up to the stage before the "real" speaker did, trying to pull excitement out of thin air with their broken English and miserably impersonated accent, and each of them claimed that this evening would "change your life forever". This phrase was being repeated with such liberal efficacy as if the intent purpose of "something which would change your life" was either understood or unquestioned, as if it had been globally accepted as a common ask. I hung on, not for an opportunity to "change my life forever" but for an opportunity to analyze what was going on.

The real speaker ranted about why everyone wanted to change one's life, how one could make life comfortable, how one could be happier, and it was shocking to see that each of these were tied with an idea of not having to work. It was assumed that to be truly happy in life, you needed to quit work and spend time with family, and he would have me believe that as long as I had to work, I didn't have "permanent" happiness. I'm accustomed to let such brag pass unabsorbed through my head but I wanted to see what the speaker would arrive at and how he'd drive the point home, so I lingered on. To my astonishment, he didn't. He didn't have a point to drive home. He spent all his talk motivating people that they needed to change their life but volunteered nothing as the means to it -- as if it was already well-established, unquestioned. He beat around for long about how he had "changed his life" and now he didn't have to work anymore, as if work were a punishment. He would make liberal use of metaphors that I care not understand, citing examples of how the richest people in the world had made money, as if he had decoded all of them.

In essence, the speaker spoke about everything except what the real point was. It was unnecessary. The audience was in applauses.

The speaker had taken 2 hours for his beating around the bush. If I had given the same presentation, it would last no longer than 5 minutes and all of it would contain the points of essence, nothing more nothing less, as if hitting the nail on its head.

Now that's the difference between engineers and others. Engineers try to make a point, others consider that it's unnecessary to make a point. Engineers tend to go by logic, others tend to go by ... well, I don't think they go by anything. (no flames please, by "others" I mean the crowd that was there)

I'm better off with engineers anyway, but I'll continue with my analysis at such gatherings. There's an awful lot you get to understand about the world and its suction.

4 comments:

Aniket said...

The moment I read that you went to an amway meeting, I was like 'Oh my God'

Well, You're talking about 'others'. I've been to one such meeting too. Those people are not others. They're nobodys. Try meeting 'others'

Ms. Smiley Singh said...

waiting for a post on google developer's day.. :D

smr said...

nice!

Unknown said...

You may be right. I feel that you just started your career probably less than 2/3 years...That is the reason why you were excited about spending your primary time for somebody's elses dream and passion...

Though i don't belong to any of those organizations i do happen to attend one of the big conference put together by them.
I never see, so many happy people excited about their future. I happen to meet Dr.Hal Newbal who was 2 times Nobile prize nominee. He usually makes $10,000 per hour of surgery that he does.

1.I asked him why he is excited about doing this business?? Only onething he replied...My ability to perform worth of $0 if i meet with any accident and lose my finger.. It is good to rely on multiple smaller different sources of Income rather depend on One Source of Income..

He lives in USA and donates money that he earns from this biz to indian charitable trusts which is equivalent to 5 S/W Eng annual incomes..

These were the reasons why they were excited about their life not that they dont find happiness in Jobs. Try working for u r company for free for 3months and see if you still have motivation to work for 4th month..

The most available in this world for FREE is "OPINIONS", which are given without any prior knowledge.

Ex: I hope you are Engineer..If you talk something about the subject that you studied, then it doesn't mean "OPINION"...but if you talk about how to do Open Heart Surgery, then is baseless opinions..

Hope my comments helps you to align your thoughts in right perspective..

If you have questions, contact me at madhuriandhra@gmail.com

Thx